Writers are badass people and no one can deny that fact. They take their stories from one extreme to another. And some of them give their books a badass opening. You read the first line and BOOM!
1. “It was a pleasure to burn”— Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
2. “Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can’t be sure. The telegram from the Home says: YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL TOMORROW. DEEP SYMPATHY. Which leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday.”— The Stranger by Albert Camus
3. “I am a sick man…I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man.”— Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
4. “All happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”— Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
5. “It should be sufficient to say that I am Juan Pablo Castel, the painter who killed María Iribarne.”— The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato
6. “This is not for you.”— House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
7. “Suicide calculated well in advance, I thought, no spontaneous act of desperation.”— The Loser by Thomas Bernhard
8. LOG ENTRY: SOL 6
“I’m pretty much fucked up.
That’s my considered opinion.
Fucked.”— The Martian by Andy Weir
9. “Dear friend,
I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn’t try to sleep with that person at the party even though you could have…. I just need to know that someone out there listens and understands and doesn’t try to sleep with people even if they could have.”—The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobsky
10. “Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler’s pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die.”— Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
11. “They’re out there. Black boys in white suits up before me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up before I can catch them.” — One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, Ken Kesey
12. “It was a bright, cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”— 1984 by George Orwell
Do you have any favorite? If yes, then do share with me in the comments below.
Have a good day!